Translate

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Travelling to Disneyland- Dining Tips and planning time wisely in Cali Adventure

We purchased the dining plan that was available for Disneyland last year- which included one snack, and two quick service meals per day for the four days you spend in the park. It also included three character dining vouchers.

The character dining vouchers were most valuable for us. We purchased our Vacation package about three months before our actual departure date- so I got to planning right away.

I decided most, if not all of our first day should be spent in Disneyland park, as my husband had never been there. I planned our meals based on where I hoped we would be each day. The first night we arrived, we had no dining plans and didn't want to use a park ticket- so we visited Downtown Disney for dinner. We decided to go to Uva, and we sat outside since the weather was amazing.
Dinner drinks at Uva!
I had the greek option, and my husband had their salmon burger- which he couldn't stop talking about! It was all very delicious and a great way to start our first evening in Disney! We took it easy and simply wandered Downtown Disney for a few hours- visiting all the shops and even buying some sparkly Minnie Mouse ears for me.

The next day, we headed for Disneyland park. Even though we had early entry with Magic Morning, we still had to wait in a short line. I insisted we rush straight to the Matterhorn- as I knew lines were always long and this was our best chance to get on without delay! He had a hurried view of Main Street and Sleeping Beauty castle before riding Matterhorn and Finding Nemo! Then we finally stopped at the Tomorrowland main commissary for a breakfast burrito. I had never had one, but I have to say it was delicious! Decently priced and very filling. Our dinner was at Ariel's Grotto, however, so we headed over to the other park in the evening to make our reservation.

This is the only character dining experience I DO NOT recommend. The food was very mediocre, even compared to the quick breakfast burrito we had at the beginning of our day! The waitress almost didn't serve us alcohol (we had valid ID- but I suppose she had never seen an ID from AB before, and told us that next time we should bring our Passports into the park! - um, what?! no way!! I would NOT risk losing my passport just so someone can believe that my MARRIED husband and I are old enough to order a sangria and cider.) Dinner service was slow- and without the vouchers it would have been way to expensive to even consider compared to the food quality. BUT; if the main Princesses are on your MUST SEE list, then this is the perfect place to see them. We were seated outside so it wasn't nearly as noisy (and near the cool water, which was lovely) but we were some of the last to see the Princesses! I have to say, my husband was pretty happy to see Belle, and I was glad to meet Ariel when we first came into the restaurant.

The downside of meeting Ariel before you sit is that it makes waiting for your table a long process- we showed up half an hr early as requested and weren't seated until half an hr after our reservation- that's an hour wait!

Dessert at Ariel's Grotto was the only thing worth photographing- Lava Cake!

Now, we went in mid-June, which is usually considered busy season, but our bus driver told us that the shuttles were unusually empty the past few days, and I could tell in the park. I have only ever been to Disney around Christmas- and the crowds were definitely crazier than they were during our honeymoon.

The next day we had breakfast at the Grand Californian Hotel- and met characters such as Koda, Chip n' Dale, and other outdoor animals! (I hadn't seen brother bear at this point, so I had no clue who Koda was!) 

The food was OUTSTANDING. Even months after we were pining for their shredded hashbrowns. I would eat there just for the food, not to mention the atmosphere. Our sever was very friendly and attentive, and it was a buffet, serve yourself setting. It was a great way to start a day we planned to mostly spend in California Adventure.

Here's where I want to mention that I highly recommend starting off your day with fast passes- specifically for hot new attractions such as Radiator Springs Racers- this ride was so popular that fast passes for an entire day would be gone within the first hour of the park opening- madness! (Needless to say, we weren't willing to wait three hours to get on this ride, so we didn't experience it.)
But I also recommend getting a fast pass for Hollywood Tower of Terror (another missed due to very long wait times) and the roller coaster. These rides tend to have the longest wait, as well as Grizzly River Rapids (in the summer of course.) Planning to get these fast passes will ensure you can get on all the best rides.
Don't overlook Toy Story- Midway Mania! It is one of the most fun rides in California Adventure, and to my knowledge they don't offer fast passes, but it's worth a wait.


Ariel's Undersea Adventure- a new addition to California adventure!
Protip- on a hot day, don't be afraid to visit this ride multiple times- it's nice and cool because it's supposed to simulate being under the sea, and the wait time is never long thanks to it's design (constantly moving clamshells, just like in Haunted Mansion!) Not to mention the animatronics will wow you over and over!

My favorite night spent in California Adventure- my husband surprised me with a reservation at Wine Country Trattoria- which come with preferred front row World of Color fast passes! The food was divine- and while we paid with our own money for this meal, the $120 we spent was well worth it for the Filet Mingon and Lamb Shank we had! (Also, the server here didn't have an issue with our Government issued ID, THANKFULLY!)

Filet Mingon

Lamb Shank

If you only have time to see one show in Disneyland/California Adventure, World of Color has to be it. It was the most amazing experience i have ever had in my entire life. The strides that Disney has taken in technology are amazing, and it's definitely showcased here! Set to music from some of their most popular movies, thousands of water fountains shoot out beams of colored water, and they even project scenes from famous movies onto the water! My favorite had to be the addition of fire during a rendition of "He's a Pirate" from POTC! It still brings tears to my eyes to think of this show.



No comments:

Post a Comment